Monday 27 July 2015

MAGOG CAMTRI RECAP

Everything has been going well since Belle River. I recovered very quickly from the sprint distance race and went straight into a good block of training before the Magog CAMTRI Triathlon.

My swimming was only feeling okay for the past few weeks but my riding was feeling the best it ever has and my run has been coming along nicely. Andrew Beardsall and I traveled to Magog with his parents on Wednesday to keep the traveling as smooth as possible. I started feeling amazing in the water once we got to Magog. One of the best prep sets in the pool I ever have done was on the Thursday leading into the race! My biking was also feeling really good; I even managed to crack my highest wattage ever while pre-riding the bike course. I even had one of my best tempos running on the Tuesday leading into the race.

Race morning was very relaxed for me. I felt more prepared than I ever have going into a race. I really nailed the taper for the first time in a while. It was a really good confidence booster and made the nerves almost none existent the morning of the race. I got up super early as I always do so that I could be alert and ready to race. My warmup went really well, and I actually had enough time to get a solid swim warmup in which is always a huge bonus.

PHOTO CREDITS: Maddy McMillan 

The swim was okay for me. I had a pretty bad start, and I really don’t think I could have come out of the water where I did if the race had been another sprint. I didn’t make up much time until the last quarter of the swim.
PHOTO CREDITS: Maddy McMillan 

As I came out of the water I could see that I was right with the leaders. I sprinted through transition, put my helmet on and got ready to hammer the bike. Fortunately I was in lead pack before I knew it! It was a pretty relaxed bike once our pack was established. I spent a lot of time up front because of last year’s fall on the same course but I’m very pleased with how my legs felt going into T2 even after working so much on the bike!

PHOTO CREDITS: Maddy McMillan 


My T2 was really the only bad part of my race. I ended up going down the wrong row and then my bike fell over, not once but twice. Knowing it wasn’t going to stand up no matter what I did, I decided to leave it hoping that the officials saw the effort I put in. I didn’t end up getting a penalty so I’m happy I decided that after a second try it was no longer worth it. Because I lost so much time going into transition I hammered out onto the run course. I had to calm myself down and settle into a good pace hoping that some of the people in front would come back to me. I tried to hold my form together and hung tough for a 21st finish in a very competitive field in only my second Olympic Distance race! I can’t confirm this but I believe I was 13th overall in the Elite Men’s Nationals with this result and 10th in the under 23 nationals.

PHOTO CREDITS: Maddy McMillan 
I’m very happy with this result and I really look forward to racing even more Olympic Distance races. This weekend I’ll be racing the Ontario Draft Legal Provincials as a New Brunswicker. It should be another good race and I really look forward to it.


Thanks to Andrew Beardsall and his parents for their hospitality and for putting up with me all week. I’d also like to thank my parents for coming out to watch me race for the first time in 2 years! Racing at this level would not be possible without their support and the support of Nineteen Wetsuits, Triathlon New Brunswick, Human Performance Centre, C3 and Aberdeen Subaru.

No comments:

Post a Comment