Wednesday 3 July 2013

PATCO in Vila Velha, Brazil


Well Brazil was a completely different environment than I am used to. I do not speak portuguese and it's way hotter. It was always a surprise when I ordered food because no one spoke english. The food was always good, some things were weird but always tasted good. I never ordered the same thing twice, mostly because I wasn't sure what I ordered the first time! The grocery stores were interesting but had a few items that looked normal to me, and some interesting things I bought anyway. We weren't supposed to eat anything that could have touched the tap water which made ordering food even harder.

We stayed at a small hotel along the beach about 200m from the start line. The water was beautiful and a perfect 22 degrees. It was extremely wavy but fun to swim through the big waves. I can't wait to race in the ocean again! I learned so much more about open water. There are ponds, rivers and lakes but they are nothing compared to the power of the ocean. 

The riding was difficult to do in such a busy city so I only got out once, not including doing my race prep. The race course went along side the sea with a 180 turn on every side. There were no hills and no wind. Although we didn't get out on the course much I still felt ready. The run course was alongside the bike course; flat, fast and hot.

Race morning was great, I didn't have any nerve issues. It was great feeling being a part of a team with all of the guys I normally race. It felt like I was racing with them rather than against them. I did a bike warmup with all of the guys then my run solo. Like every race I've been to this year, my swim warmup had to be cut a little short but I was feeling good. 

The swim start was fast and difficult with the big waves. I had a good starting spot (29), and went in knowing I'd have a good start. I got crushed at the first buoy; my tooth still hurts from getting kicked in the face! National Junior races are tough but this is a whole new game. I already want more but I still have so much more to learn. Bottom line, I didn't come out in the lead pack so I had to bike like hell. 

Biking like hell isn't new to me so I rode the way I always do. With only a few Canadians, and Americans helping me pull I was going as hard as I could. I knew that was the only way to ride in such a big race, so that's what I did. I got off the bike in the chase pack, which was significantly better than were I started my bike ride and started to run. 

I was running really fast, although I'm not sure if my pace was fast I was running people down. It felt good and I felt amazing. It was extremely hot and I tried to stay cooled off at the 2 water stops that you could hit twice each lap. I'm very pleased with my first big race and I can't wait to get back on the international seen soon!

Congrats to all of the Canadian Juniors and Sarah Ann for her second place finish in the Elite race. It was great getting to know you all and to represent Canada with such talented athletes. I hope to see some of you in St. Andrew's! I'm excited to go home, and race! Now one more flight until I get home. Good luck in St. Andrew's to everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment