Monday 8 July 2013

St. Andrew's, NB Junior race

Imagine that. A national series race right here in NB. There wasn't a better place to host it. St. Andrew's is one of the most breathtaking towns in the Maritimes, but it's not exactly easy to be enjoying the view at 39km/h on a bike. I was so happy to be able to represent New Brunswick in New Brunswick for the first time at the National level. Although this is only my second season racing the National Junior Series, I still thoroughly enjoyed racing at home. I loved seeing everyone in their New Brunswick uniforms, representing our province proudly and I can't wait to wear my uniform at Canada Games. With three suits to wear, I wish I could represent C3, New Brunswick and Canada all at the same time!

I was obviously a little tired going into this race considering it was my third race in a row but I tried to let the home crowd fuel me; and that's exactly what it did. Thanks to all my family and friends that were out on the course cheering me on and getting me through the race!

My race prep went really well, I wouldn't say I was feeling fresh but I still went in feeling as good as you can feel after three weeks of racing and traveling! I did my typical race prep but I actually had time to do a long swim warmup this time!

I wasn't nearly as nervous as I thought I might have been considering I was racing at home wearing number 3. I've never worn such a high number, and I loved the feeling. I lined up right beside number 2: Robert Bigsby. I stayed with Robert in Brazil and he's a really cool guy  and has been doing the sport a little longer than I have so I thought I'd have a clear path to the first buoy. With a long held start, and surprisingly no false starts I started swimming. I didn't feel nearly as good as I normally do which was a little disheartening but I kept racing hard and knew I could make my race come together. Myles crushed the swim and gapped the whole field.

Transition consisted of a 400m hill out of the water. I'm not going to lie. It sucked. It was painful and I know everyone hated it just as much as I did! But I ran up it, with a lot of guys that ended up in the chase pack and did a fast T1. Stuck chasing I rode hard. I had to ride extremely hard in Brazil because I was chasing so this was nothing new to me. I rode hard enough to catch the leaders 3/4 of the way into the first lap of four. I wasn't feeling the greatest but it's an hour race, you're not supposed to feel good. I rode hard the whole time, but once Myles was caught the pace slowed down. Maybe a little too much, but you can't control 20 guys so I just rode slow too. Coming into T2 I was towards the front.

T2 went really well. I came out in 5th which normally doesn't happen, but I just didn't have the run legs I needed to run with those guys. It's something I still have to figure out but I know I'll figure it out soon.  Props to Myles and Robert for getting onto the podium after all of the traveling and racing! You guys are amazing! I can't wait to race nationals!


No comments:

Post a Comment