Monday 2 November 2015

The Offseason and my first 10k

It's been a little while since I last updated my blog but here's what I've been up to since I got back to Hamilton.

I took a big break this year after the tri season. It was my longest season yet so I needed a mental and physical reboot before I could get back to training. I got back into things relatively easily but I've been doing a lot of fun training and not necessarily much quality.

I thought it would be super fun to try and run a 10k without the swim and the bike before. I've never actually done a flat out 10k. I really didn't know what to expect except that I knew it was going to hurt, a lot. Going into the race I wasn't very rested but I had been feeling very strong, not necessarily fast but strong.

I was very fortunate to have my roommate Andrew racing because I knew he'd be up the road and someone to chase after. I also had my friend Bryan racing, and my girlfriend Christina there to support me. Having a big support crew like that mad pre race jitters slightly better than normal.

My warmup felt good and I really felt like a very fast time was possible. There was no wind and I was feeling great! As soon as the gun went I was rolling, and I felt that way for the first 6-7k. With three kilometres to go I was feeling tired and the pain was setting in but I just kept pushing. I found out that 10ks were tough even without the swim and the bike.

I ended up running 33:37 for second place with my roommate Andrew just breaking 33. It was a really great day for both of us and I am so happy Christina was there to see it happen. It's really nice to have the same support system here as I do in New Brunswick.

Here's a video of me going accross the line!

Also here's a picture that I just found from the race. Feels great knowing I actually looked like a runner out there!



Thanks to Human Performance Centre, The Radical Edge Nineteen Wetsuits (I still appreciate the support even when there is no swim), C3, Aberdeen Subaru, Triathlon New Brunswick and all of the people that have been supporting me as I pursue my dreams. Stay on high alert, because I have a big announcement that I'll be making in the next couple of weeks!

No comments:

Post a Comment